Sunday, February 12, 2012

A good week

This past week turned out to be a good one. I've done some exercise every day, including a run on Thursday evening. The sports doctor cleared me to run 10-15 minutes 3x a week. It's not much, but it's something. I felt good and strong and would have kept going, but I'm trying very hard to follow the recommendations and speed recovery. I was definitely in a little more pain the next morning, but nothing compared to what it was.

No stress fracture, so I'm cleared on that front. And I start physio tomorrow morning.

Planning a second run this afternoon, again no more than 15 minutes. But that's okay! It's something.

I enjoyed the spin/weight class on Thursday morning and signed up for the next three. I also signed up for a kundalini yoga class starting in April. Core work! I know I need it. And then hopefully the endurance and the ability to train for endurance will flow from that.

Unfortuantely I cannot withdraw from the 30km race (no refunds), which I will not be able to complete. I could go and walk the course instead, but I don't think I want to do that. I'm just going to accept a did-not-finish, and know that it's part of the journey. I wonder how quickly I will heal and whether I'll be able to get back to training for longer distances. The crazy thought in my head as I ran those ten minutes on Thursday evening was: I'm totally going to do an ultramarathon.

Heh. Baby steps. Have to get back to 5km distances first. Sigh. However, I will say that I did not feel out of shape in the least. I'm sure I could have gone 8-10km without any problem (other than the problem of potentially re-injuring myself). But I felt very strong, and have felt nice and strong all week during the various exercise activities.

No comments: