Saturday, April 14, 2012

More running

How much have I run this week? I know it's more than I've run since January, and I'm happy about that. None of my runs have been longer than 9km, but that's okay. I'm working my way up slowly to the longer runs. I keep doing the shorter runs at a fast pace -- as fast as I can push it -- and I'm not sure I even remember how to do a long run anymore. I will have to moderate my efforts slightly when I add those back in. Waiting to get an okay from the dr before attempting any.

Meanwhile ...

From Sunday to Saturday: 4.5 + 6 + 9 + 6 + 8 = 33.5km
That's not quite at the 40km/week I was aiming for back at the beginning of the year, but it's getting closer. A few of those runs were done very much against what I was feeling like doing, but I just decided to take opportunities and go. In addition to the running, I also went to one spin class, one spin + kettlebell class, and one kundalini class. So mostly running, really. Running is my favourite thing to do, even though it's really hard. Today, I ran trails during my daughter's soccer practice. I tried to keep my pace at 12km/hour. Uphill my pace would fall off. Downhill it would amp up. I'm still lacking in endurance, but I managed to keep my pace consistent for 8km, which I completed in 40.42 minutes. That's off my hoped-for 10-km race pace by a bit ... but on the other hand, it wasn't a race, and it involved some very big hills. I find myself trying to run virtually every time as if I were in a race. I'm not sure how to turn off that part of myself. I actually enjoyed my Thursday evening run, in a slightly twisted way, because I wasn't in the mood to run so I just set the goal very low: just get out and run, for as long as I could stand it. I felt physically kind of miserable. My GPS watch was not working. So I just ran, without glancing to see my pace. I think that was good for me, mentally. Probably worked less hard, but also kind of enjoyed the laid-back-ness of it, and appreciated myself just for trying.

I've been really tired, however. Never fully felt awake this week. I hope it's a temporary energy lull.

No comments: