Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's day run

I went for my first "distance" run this afternoon. It was a mere 12km, but that's far and away the furthest than I've run since my injury in January. And I did it in good time, too, and pain-free. So yay!

I would like to do a long run every weekend (working up gradually to about 28km, and then maintaining the weekend long run between 18-25km, never less than 15km). I'd only been planning to run 10km, but as soon as I got out on my old familiar 12km route, I just couldn't turn back. Turns out the route is actually 12.3km. I started slowly, and gradually kicked my pace up until I was running consistently at 5/km, sometimes faster, sometimes a few seconds slower. I ended 12km in 1:01, which made me pretty darn happy. I'm back, baby!

That's still off my best one-hour runs from last season, which were pushing 13km/hr, but nevertheless satisfying.

I was thinking that endurance training is really about teaching yourself how to breathe heavily for a long period of time. Next time I'm bringing water, however. I was definitely flirting with dehydration, given the heat. Had I known I was going 12km ...

Can't wait to keep on running. It just makes me so happy.

:::

Side note: I've signed up to play on a women's rec soccer team. The last time I was on a team was, oh, twenty-seven years ago. I kid you not. I've asked to play forward or midfield and they are thrilled, apparently being overloaded with defenders (my husband tells me that older teams are often overloaded with defenders, as the running gets harder). My skills are rusty, but I'm looking forward to the stop and go running -- should get some good sprint work in. Maybe it will make me faster!

No comments: