Wednesday, November 17, 2010

107: November Rain

Just wanted to say, after last post's poetical waxing about running in the great outdoors, that sometimes the great outdoors can be really inhospitable. It poured rain all night, but stopped just before 6am, when I met my friend for our weekly run. We were really glad that it wasn't raining, but it was blowing hard, and very chilly. This is my least favourite time of year, and my least favourite month.

I was plenty warm, however, with the addition of a shell on top of my layers of running gear. It did feel like a tougher run than usual, perhaps due to the wind, or perhaps due to a general feeling of under-nourishment. We never eat as well when we travel. And we're spoiled by a homemade, local produce-based diet here at home. The food we eat at home is so very good for us: whole grains, lots of fibre, and the freshness that can't be faked of food that is grown close to home. I always return from travel feeling hungry, even if I've eaten regular meals (which this trip, I did not have the luxury of doing).

I had the same under-nourished sensation at yoga class last night, but I'd forgotten to eat a banana with peanut butter (okay, the banana is not local!) before heading over, and I was just plain hungry by the end of class. This week, I am also writing extra, so my husband is in charge of food, and he doesn't cook like me, not having had all the practice I've had. I should let him practice more often, I suppose. But I'm partial to my own cooking.

No comments: