Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day 106: Treadmill

I've been pleased with the past few weeks' work, exercise-wise. Having committed to exercising four times a week, I've been accomplishing that, though not managing more. Last week, I went to three hot yoga classes and ran only once, but that was what worked, so that's what I did. Running in daylight is difficult to achieve right now at our latitude, as the days shrink. I do run once a week with a friend, before dawn, but if I get up early to exercise by myself, I'm headed to the yoga studio. I'm convinced the cardio work there, in the heat, is equal to the cardio work of a good run, because my fitness level has never been greater.

Yesterday, we were in another country for a funeral, and I was desperate to exercise, having not done anything for several days (and spending time driving, standing with family in over-heated rooms, nibbling cold foods). So I got up early and ran on the treadmill in the hotel's exercise room. I was the only guest there, and I am not familiar with treadmill running, but found it relatively easy to adjust to. Every two "laps" (a blinking icon would progress around a "track" for my viewing pleasure), I would crank the speed by 0.2 mph, till I was going at a reasonable clip: all the way to 6.2 mph. I ran 50-odd minutes, covered 4.5 miles, and enjoyed the work-out. I think it takes less mental energy to run on a treadmill--when I'm running outside, I'm thinking constantly about traffic, or my footing, because I often run in grass. But it's also much less pleasant. The experience of the outdoors is a big part of my running pleasure.

Home again, today, and trying to decide whether I can commit to this afternoon's planned yoga class, or whether I feel too tired to go. (Go, go!). On the whole, the trip did not drain me like previous marathon trips have. I suspect this has something to do with my increased physical fitness. Maybe there is a real connection between physical fitness and mental fitness; though I don't think the two necessarily go together. But for me, being able to trust that my body can get through long days without breaking down gives me confidence that my mind can do the same.

No comments: