Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Every day swimming

Summer is flying. It's so bittersweet that we're nearing the end of the kids' two week swim session. I've never swum so much in my entire life! Last week, I swam for all four days that my kids were lessons, and I'm keeping the same pace this week, though it's a shorter swim than the very first week that I swam five days straight. So I've been averaging 1600m/swim, and it goes by very quickly. Yesterday I tried out a different kick, which admittedly took more energy, but earned me an extra 200m in the same amount of time.

Today, however, I was outpaced by a very large, much older woman who was barely putting her head in the water. To be fair, she was going pretty fast. I comforted myself by thinking that perhaps she was a champion swimmer once upon a time. Also, I ran 9km this morning.

My soccer game on Sunday was a disappointment. I wasn't beat up at all, but I had the sense it was in part because I hadn't pushed nearly as hard. I could feel the fear in my body's responses and reaction time. I knew I wasn't running quite as hard as I could have, and was therefore missing contact with the ball as often as not. Lame. The second half was better as I forced myself to get back into the game and not act out of fear. Might as well not play if I'm playing scared.

I also ran a bit more last week, though not a ton, it must be said. I'm not entirely sure I'll be prepared for the Toad (25km trail run) at the end of September. I'm really not layering on the miles like I should be. On the other hand, I'm loving the swimming, and I don't have time for everything. Maybe the cross-training is helping, at least a bit?

Last week I ran 9km (slow, with my friend) on Wednesday, and also swam that day. I did the spittlebell class (spin + weights) on Thursday, swam, and also ran that evening, 6.5km with sprints to warm up (and a 14-minute-flat pace for the first 3km, ending 5km in 24:19)--not bad. I ran Saturday afternoon in some serious heat, but my GPS watch wasn't working and we were at a park, so I couldn't track the run. I just ran a half hour, and tried to push the pace past my comfort level. I ran non-stop in the soccer game on Sunday evening--lots of sprints in that style of running. My lungs felt better right from the start, too, so I think a couple of runs during the week really make a difference, even if they aren't serious distance runs. I also practiced soccer with the kids, lots of sprints, on Monday night.

And that, plus the 4 x 1600m swims, was my week.

This week is shaping up to be pretty similar, with an extra swim on Monday (the kids didn't start their swim lessons until Tuesday of last week, so I skipped that swim).

My husband and I have enjoyed swimming so much that we're hoping to continue, at least a couple of times a week, while the pool is open and summer remains with us! It's too beautiful to waste. It's like seasonal eating. Seasonal exercise. Enjoy it while you've got it.

Plus my arms have never looked better. Not that that's why I exercise, mind you, but, damn, it's true.

4 comments:

NathKnits said...

Tell me about this new kick, please!

Carrie Snyder said...

Honestly, I'm just kicking harder. Sometimes I time the kick to match a moment in my stroke, and sometimes I'm trying to kick consistently harder/faster throughout. But I think the timed hard kick is more effecient.

I gets my heart rate sky-high, though. Bigger muscles, those leg muscles.

Tricia Orchard said...

Yah, your arms are pretty awesome! Not that I am envious or anything! :)

Carrie Snyder said...

Come on out to our kettlebell class sometime, Tricia! (Not that you have any need to be envious!! Good grief!)