Friday, March 30, 2012

After this week's physio

First, to sum up my Friday to Friday work-outs:
Friday: physio/strength exercises; run, 30 mins/6km (pain-free!)
Saturday: NOTHING
Sunday: run, 31 mins/6km (pain-free); strength exercises
Monday: (got up early and went to pool only to discover it was temporarily closed due to chlorine issues; so no swim); hot yoga, 90 mins; strength exercises
Tuesday: spin, 1hr
Wednesday: run, 30 mins/5.3km (twinges of pain, so we kept it short); strength exercises (the extended version)
Thursday: spin/kettlebells; strength exercises (the quick version)
Friday: physio, exercises; run, 6.8km

That catches us up. I wish I knew how fast my pace was on today's run, but my GPS watch is unreliable, and this time it refused to work. And in fiddling around with it, I neglected to keep track even of how long I'd been running. It was a bit over thirty minutes, but not by much. I wanted to run because this morning, finally, my physio started working with me on cadence, which should help with my heel strike. Cadence is really beats per minute, and the ideal cadence for the average runner is 180 strides per minute. If you have a metronome (which we do), set it at 180 and practice running on the spot to get an idea of how quickly your feet should be striking the ground and rising up again. Elite marathoners run at closer to 220 or even higher. I found it a challenge today to keep that cadence up, but I also could tell it was forcing me to run differently -- with a more engaged core and glutes. I felt ZERO PAIN. And that's truly good news because today was the first I'd run in three weeks without being taped. And the first run I had with no pain was immediately after she'd taped my SI joint. This would seem to indicate several very positive things. 1. The strength work is paying off. 2. I can train a little harder. (I haven't cleared #2 with my doctor, however).

I need to talk to my physio to understand better how I can keep a 180 cadence on a long, slow training run. It seems counter-intuitive to imagine running more slowly while still striding fast, but perhaps the propulsive power in the stride would simply be reduced. I think those quick legs in spin class (which I generally dislike) are going to pay off. I tend to prefer the grindier, long-distance, slower and more powerful use of my leg muscles. I think this might be a core issue, however. I find the core exercises hard to do, mentally and physically. Clearly, they challenge me for a reason.

You know, it was a nice change today to actually begin to think about training toward longer distances again. Today, I also tried running during the day rather than at night or early in the morning. I'm trying to guage how disruptive that is to my writing cycle ... or whether it actually might help me focus more quickly when I actually sit down.

It's going to be hard to train myself back to the level of endurance I enjoyed before. It's probably a good thing that I have to take it relatively easy as I return to more running. Mentally, it's easier to consider going for a thirty minute run than a sixty minute run (let alone a multiple hour run!). I need to build toward those longer distances slowly -- not just physically, but mentally too. It takes a lot of time and commitment. And I'll admit that this recovery process has left me feeling weaker than I did before -- mentally as much as physically. I had this favourite phrase that would pop into my head on long runs, last year: "Indestructible" I would think to myself. I'm not sure why. It made me feel super-powerful rather than doubtful, even if I was feeling tired. I haven't let myself say that since the injury. I know I'm not indestructible. But the thing is, I knew I wasn't indestructible before either, and that didn't stop me from embracing the powerful feeling, or letting myself imagine my own strength in that way. I'm not sure how to get back to point of confidence. Confidence is a funny thing. It doesn't always relate to reality. I'm hardly weak right now, and I know that, but I don't feel it. I wasn't indestructible before, and I knew that, but I felt it anyway.

Curious, isn't it.

No comments: