Monday, March 5, 2012

Exercise every day

Yay! The new mantra is working. I am exercising every day. It helps that I have to do about twenty-thirty minutes of strengthening exercises for physio every day, so on busy days that might be all I manage. But at least I'm managing that. Must retrain these muscles!

Here was my last week, in exercise:

Monday: swim, 2500m (slow!); physio, strength exercises
Tuesday: spin, 1hr; strength exercises
Wednesday: run, 40 minutes (slow!)
Thursday: spin/weights, 45 minutes; strength exercises
Friday: physio, strength exercises; run, 30 minutes (fast!)
Saturday: strength exercises
Sunday: run, 30 minutes (slow!); strength exercises

No yoga. And I crave more cardio, without a doubt. But as I thought this morning, coming down the stairs in the dark at 5am, I'm doing something. And something is better than nothing. Last year, training was easier, mentally, because I kept seeing improvements. I got stronger, faster, could swim further. This year I have been unable even to maintain my peak fitness from last year, let alone build on it. I've gotten, frankly, slower and in some areas weaker (though certain muscle groups are a heck of a lot stronger, which is nice). That's frustrating. And I think it takes more guts to keep at it when you don't see improvement. But I'm trying. I'm doing my best. I'm showing up. And that's all I ask of myself. Keep showing up, Carrie, keep showing up!

1 comment:

Nath said...

You're doing great! And if you keep showing up, I'll keep showing up too!