Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Day 64: Still Good

This week I've gone to two yoga classes, and got up to run this morning, too. I would never get up to run on these dark, wet, cool mornings if it were not for my friend coming to the door at 6am. Every time (she tells me), I say: I almost couldn't get out of bed. And every time, I do. Because I know how good I will feel afterward, and also, I want to talk to her, and that's the only regular time we've found in our busy lives to fit in a long conversation. Can't miss that.

Yoga pulls me in even when I'm not entirely in the mood because it is just such a calming place for me to go. I love the smell of the studio. I love being forced to focus and I love sweating, and moving. It would be impossible not to add that I also love the shape of my body, and how regular practice has changed and strengthened it, and improved my flexibility. Without question, this is a practice I intend to continue for my entire life, if possible.

On the downside, I continue to suffer from pain and stiffness in my neck and shoulder. I don't know why. It doesn't stop me from doing the things I want to do, but I have difficulty turning to glance over my left shoulder. Sometimes I fantasize about a masseuse digging under the shoulder blade and rooting out the tensed muscle. If that's what it is.

I continue to be tired, but it's a fast-paced life. I am trying to grab naps where possible, and make sensible choices about bedtime.

And I feel more fit. Without a doubt. Yesterday's yoga class was 90 minutes, and I pushed myself hard, and discovered that my heart rate and breathing would accelerate during difficult postures, and then fall to normal almost immediately afterward. The recovery period has been greatly shortened. I have more stamina. I am certain I could run longer distances, especially if I were willing to take brief breaks to walk (ie. no more than a minute). Ah, ego.

No comments: