Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Achy legs

I shouldn't feel this achy after an 8.5km run, should I? Maybe it was spin class yesterday. I'm realizing that it's tough to set a race goal this late in the season. It's tough to keep the necessary intensity going for so long. I ran that half way back in April, which seems like a long time ago now: seven months. And I was training hard starting last January. I'm feeling less motivated recently.

I'm not sure how to plan my training up until Sunday's race. I ran this morning. Should I run once or twice more before the race? Should I go swimming instead? Do yoga instead? Do swimming, yoga, and run once or twice more before the race? I could work any or all of these into the next few days, but my question is: should I?

I wish I were feeling more energetic. I wish I felt a sense of excitement rather than of faint dread (though that is a common feeling before my races.)

Total side note: I've been swimming and yoga-ing less this fall, and I'm seeing a change in my upper body. My arms just aren't as toned as they were. It was so exciting to see my body improve, as someone who had never exercised regularly in her life, and it kind of sucks to see it going in the opposite direction. But more running equals less time for cross-training, and running doesn't do much for the biceps and triceps. I'm trying to figure out how to structure my exercise plan once this marathon is over. What are my larger goals? Is it running faster and further? Is it being toned and fit-looking, regardless of how fast or far I can run? Is it strength? Is it endurance? Is it more races? I'm feeling unsure right now, and not pulled toward any one thing, though I will say that vanity is a motivating factor ... I really liked my strong, defined arms. I may have to get back into the pool more often. And hot yoga is really good for toning, too, even if it doesn't make me run faster.

What are your exercise goals, out of curiosity? Why exercise? I read this piece in the newspaper on Monday where the woman said that she exercises because she has a fear of getting fat. That was her only motivation. I'm not sure that would do it for me.

2 comments:

Tricia Orchard said...

Hi Carrie,

Oooh, lots to comment on today! :)

First of all, when I saw you the other day at spinning I thought your arms still looked buff! Just sayin'!

I also think you are right about setting a goal late in the season. In fact, I overheard Sylvie (from spinning) say something similar. She said she has had an intense season and it started way back in January. I think she has a race coming up soon, too. It is hard to do all this training and not start to feel tired or unmotivated after awhile. I am already wondering how I can keep up all this training for the next 2 years!! Sheesh!

I also think if you are feeling tired that you should totally ease up now. Maybe do that one last short run that the Running Room guide recommends, but that is it. Anything you do now, this close to the race, is likely not going to enhance your race in any way. It might just make you more tired on race day. Listen to your body.

I think it is okay for you to have multiple goals. You can change them each season. One season you could focus on faster races, the next season you could focus on longer races. I got into half-marathons and marathons for several years, but now I think I prefer shorter, faster races. I like changing it up.

I love your last set of questions about exercising. I can relate to the woman who exercises so that she won't get fat. I don't think I am in danger of ever becoming obese, but I definitely noticed a change in my body when I got into my 30's. I think my metabolism slowed down because it seemed like my weight started to go up if I didn't exercise. That being said, I run because I love it! I like how it makes me feel mentally and physically. I also exercise for health reasons and hopefully I will live a longer and healthier life because of it. I exercise because I like the challenge of trying new races and distances. I exercise to be an example to my kids. I want them to see that I like doing it and hope that one day they like to exercise too (without me having to nag them).

There. Glad you asked?

Did you follow me all the way home on Tuesday? We could have talked about all this in the car if we had gone together!

See you soon,
Tricia

Carrie Snyder said...

Of course I'm glad I asked!! And yes I did follow you all the way home (or almost) on Tuesday morning. We've gotta carpool next Tuesday.

I like your reasons for exercising. Excellent reasons.

Still trying to decide re more running or whatever this week ... but I'm basically not going to push it, just do something if it feels like the right thing to do. And hope for the best on Sunday!

We can continue this conversation while carpooling!