Friday, January 28, 2011

181: Daily exercise still going ...

I've squeezed in some serious cardio exercise every day this week, too. I hope I won't get down on myself when this streak ends; I need to remind myself that a few days off does not harm my fitness level--at least that hasn't been my experience this past year, when I would often go as long as three days without finding time to exercise. (Any longer than three days, and I did notice a temporary dip in my fitness).

This week, I ran on Monday evening; went to a 90-min hot yoga class on Tuesday evening; ran early on Wednesday morning; went to a 90-min hot yoga class on Thursday evening; and was up early this morning to swim for 50 minutes. I couldn't quite make it an hour. I was too fatigued and my stroke was getting worse and worse (and my technique is not fabulous to begin with). (I really need to take at least one lesson and finesse my stroke. I'm strong, but I don't move through the water very quickly; I know better technique could make my stroke more efficient).

The stretch between Wednesday morning and Thursday evening felt too long to my restless body. I would have run again on Wednesday evening, if I'd had time.

I have signed up for a 30-day hot yoga challenge, which I already know I won't be able to complete. Yoga every day is just impossible with my schedule. But I will try to go about four times each week, and test out the open pass; if I like it, I'll sign up for more unlimited monthly passes; if not, I'll stick with buying a 50-class pass, and go about twice a week, as now.

I'm still wondering whether it's important to complete a race, or, more specifically, an exterior challenge--important to me, I mean. Is the exterior motivation what's getting me out of bed early? Is the extra training healthy, or is it cutting down on my friend and family and husband time in ways that are potentially detrimental to those relationships?

Here's what I'm grateful for this year and right now: I am grateful for a supportive husband. I am grateful for enthusiastic friends. I am grateful that I have time to train and exercise more. I am grateful to my body for being a willing participant in this project.

No comments: