Friday, January 21, 2011

Day 174: Pool

Okay, I can add the "swim, mama!" portion of this blog back in again. Yup, I went swimming this morning. The pool had been closed over the holidays and into the new year due to construction, so I did not feel guilty about not starting earlier. I looked over my schedule and realized that Friday is an empty exercise day for me--usually because it's a crazy busy day, and the only time available is early morning. But early morning is perfect for the pool. I was in the water at 6:10 this morning, and will aim to be in the water by 5:45 (the earliest possible time) next Friday. I swam for nearly 50 minutes, and though I did not count laps, I estimate that I swam about 1,000 metres, not quite. I swam steadily and slowly, and discovered that my form has improved, or perhaps just my fitness level. When I started this blog, I remember writing about the fact that I could not swim. That was no exaggeration. My attempt at a crawl stroke moved me nowhere in the water, and at great effort and expense. Now, I move through the water more efficiently, and my general fitness must have increased over this fall, too, because it felt easier. I didn't feel the fatigue except toward the very end, and even then, was able to swim the last 100m as a sprint, just to test it out. I definitely felt the difference between my easy calm pace, and the flat-out effort of the sprint, and I would like to add in some sprint laps more frequently, perhaps every ten minutes. I would also like to swim for a full hour, which I why I need to start earlier.

I came home, already showered, which was a bonus, and got the day underway: crockpot supper, and kids' breakfasts, and everyone organized and out the door, and then forgot to eat till mid-morning (in fact, half of my breakfast is still sitting in the bowl beside me).

I like rising early. It's always easier than I think it will be. I also like doing something quiet by myself to start the day. It felt peaceful in that water. I could understand the appeal.

But my techinique could use some finessing. I wonder whether I should take a lesson or two, just to iron things out. I know my head is still too high when I turn to breathe. Could my kick be more efficient? Is my hand position correct when entering the water? It all felt pretty smooth today, but if a tweak here or there would make it easier to swim even further, even faster, why not seek it out?

I plan to swim once a week for now, no more. At the very least, it adds variety into my exercise routine.

I am also noticing that my body wants to do something every day. Even every day sometimes doesn't feel like enough. I ran early on Wed. morning, a little shorter than I had been running, and by yesterday evening's yoga class, I was terribly restless. I would have run yesterday morning, but my husband is trying out a weekly yoga class, too, and and that's when we'd arranged time for him to go. (And I'm excited for him to be doing it!). But my body wasn't happy. It wanted to go--it wanted more. That's why I pushed it in the pool at the end today; because I wanted a harder work-out. I don't quite feel like I got that, but I'll know to push harder throughout on my next swim.

:::

This triathlon dream has changed me. I am somewhat amazed to discover that it was not a whim, but a real goal. It's allowed me to dream big, and to test myself against a big dream. There are many obstacles to acheiving one's dreams, but the first obstacle is always the self. Just being brave enough to imagine oneself doing something completely different--and then testing it out. I still can't quite believe that I am swimming. That I can swim, first of all, and that I enjoyed swimming, this morning.

Imagining myself completing a triathlon, really and truly imagining it being possible, has made me look at myself differently. I realized this morning that I think of myself, now, as being someone who gets things done, confident, true to her word, and trustworthy. The further I get in the process, the less significant completing a race seems against the more significant changes this training has wrought in my body, and my mind.

Next up. A spinning class. Maybe. (My friend Tricia is my inspiration for that!).

No comments: