Monday, January 31, 2011

184: Weekend Off

I went swimming on Friday morning, dancing on Friday night (that counts, right?), and shovelled snow for a good 45 minutes on Saturday. But that was it. I did nothing yesterday, except dishes. We hosted a big party for my husband's birthday, and I was up till nearly 4am. Let's just say I was in poor working condition yesterday. Last night, I fell asleep and slept sound from 9-5:45 when my alarm went off this morning, and I took myself to a hot yoga class to start the week. I'd planned on running tonight, but instead I just signed up for my first spinning class!!! Yikes! Tomorrow morning, very early. My friend T. is taking the class. When I contacted the studio, they said I could try the first class for free, then sign up for more.

I just found a pair of bike shorts, about 100 years old, but they look okay (in my drawer, I mean; they do belong to me). I'm nervous because I've never ridden an exercise bicycle before, and because an hour of intense activity is a lot, and because it's a competetive class (from the sounds of it) taken by lots of triathletes. Like, the real ones, not the wannabes. It will need to be another early night. I am planning four early mornings of exercise this week. It's really the only time I can fit it in.

But my husband misses me.

The month of February is going to be devoted to training, I think. That's my current plan, because my book is done, but my editor isn't ready for it until next month (no, it's not a book about triathlons; maybe that will be my next project). So, I'm going to spend time inside my own head this month, sorting out new projects, working my body, signing up for at least two races--one half-marathon, and one triathlon (sprint, I am now thinking). Maybe. Everytime I go to sign up for a race, I freak right out. I can't quite do it. I guess I'm not quite ready to commit. Maybe I don't entirely believe in my capacity to do either one. It seems so audacious. Presumptuous. Or, maybe I don't want to. Period.

2 comments:

Tricia Orchard said...

I know what you mean about signing up, but I truly believe you have nothing to worry about. You are getting a good training plan in place and you already have a good base - you will be fine. I also believe that you can handle a sprint, no problem. No need for the Try-A-Tri.

Can't wait to hear what you sign up for.

T

Carrie Snyder said...

Thanks for your encouragement!! Still hyperventilating when contemplating signing up ... but getting closer to actually doing it.