Monday, December 5, 2011

Back at it: hello, Monday

Ran last night in the pouring cold rain during daughter's soccer practice. I had to go slowly. My leg wouldn't let me go fast. I hope this is temporary! I ran 11.4km in 63 minutes. That's pretty far off my regular pace. But at least I could run, and it felt good, and I didn't even mind the rain. In fact, while I was running I thought, this probably looks crazy, but there's nothing I'd rather be doing right now. I brought dry clothes to change into, and really enjoyed watching the girls scrimmage. I also tried to stretch my legs on the sidelines without looking too much like a crazy lady, which I probably already did due to the sopping hair.

And this morning I got up early for the usual Monday swim. I missed my friend Nath in the pool. She couldn't come because her husband is away and she's one her own with the kids. The water felt really cold at first. I was the very first person to disturb the water, which was pretty cool. I swam at my usual pace, but felt slower due to sharing the lane with my former lane partner, who is an Ironwoman triathlete. Yeah, she's a little faster than me. And then, unfortunately, a third swimmer came into our lane who was very slow and kept doing different strokes. And someone in the next lane over managed to kick me or bump me somehow, which never happens. It started to feel pretty messy by the end. Took all my mental fortitude not to quit early, but I hung in there for the full 2500m.

I will say, I was feeling pretty tired. I suspect Saturday night's festivities had something to do with it. So even though I felt tired and it wasn't fun being passed, I was still patting myself on the back for getting up and doing it. Which is the key, of course. Just get up and do it!

No comments: