Friday, December 2, 2011

Treatment

I am feeling so lazy! But it hasn't been a bad week. I swam on Monday, went to a 90-minute hot yoga class that evening, did spin class on Tuesday. By that point, the pain in my leg wasn't terrible. It was worst at yoga class, actually, I assume because I was asking those muscles to stretch out and they weren't so into it. Lots of downward dogs. Ouch.

But during my run on Wednesday morning, which is a pretty slow run, my leg felt increasingly sluggish. It felt like I was dragging my leg along. And it hurt. So I decided to go to the osteopath. And yesterday I went. And she said I should take off 24 hours before exercising again, which means that I haven't done anything since Wed's early morning run. And I am feeling like a slug.

But that also means I could attempt a run tonight. She requested that I run slowly and keep it short. That is not how I run. But I will try. Our discussions circled around how to stay healthy and be able to keep running forever, which is my personal goal. I want to be that woman with 57 written in black marker on her calf chugging effortlessly past the woman with 37 written on hers. (This actually happened to me during a race last spring, and I was so impressed by the woman who was kicking was butt.)

Anyway. The point is longevity. And what I'm not doing -- my biggest oversight -- is stretching after a work-out. I need to take time to stretch all the major muscle groups that have been working hard, to give them a chance to relax and settle down. Otherwise: tightness, knots, ropy spots, tension, pain. I'll just come right out and say it: I never stretch. I do a quick dynamic stretch before exercising (though not with any consistency.) And afterward, I just go on with life. In fact, that's one of the reasons I've loved running--I can squeeze a hard work-out into one hour, from the moment I run out the door to the moment I'm back. Then I hop in the shower and presto, on with the tasks at hand. I wonder if even five minutes of stretching might help .... clearly, my legs are telling me to take care.

I will ask my husband the kin for some stretches. We didn't have time yesterday, as she filled the entire appt with treatment (for which I am extremely thankful.) I am also extremely thankful that a friend took my youngest for the afternoon so that I could go to the hour-long appt alone. What was I thinking? I'd been planning to take him along, had a bag of books and activities packed ... and it would have been hellish for all involved. So thank you to last-minute assistance by a friend!

I'll let you know how my next run goes.

I'm also sort of saving my energy for Saturday night when we are going to a crazy dance party. At which I hope not to injure myself.

2 comments:

Tricia Orchard said...

Just don't jump off any piano benches and you will be fine! ;)

Carrie Snyder said...

But that's my signature move!!!