Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Vent, mama

I'm using this blog to purge. My main blog is too well-travelled and this seems a more private unnoticed blog. Plus, this post is exercise-related. I got out and ran yesterday afternoon! It was the most beautiful day, sunny, clear, no ice. Thankfully I ran yesterday because today we had freezing rain followed by snow. Grey, wet, chilly, slick, treacherous.

On yesterday's run I resolved to end these next two weeks more fit than I started them. Seemed so easy, so possible, as I ran my favourite 12km route, blissfully pushing the pace, appreciating the dry ground underfoot and the fact that my leg wasn't too twitchy, as I call it. I ran the route in 62 minutes, which is slightly off my summer pace, but not too far off. I do have this nagging injury that undeniably slows me down, but it was feeling better yesterday. Everything felt better when I was running. Which is why I came home and immediately emailed my friend Nath and said, "Let's go swimming tomorrow morning!" Then I went and made supper for eleven and cleaned up and hosted and etc. and before I knew it, it was 11:30 and I hadn't checked up on my email. Which is weird for me, as anyone who knows me knows.

So I checked my email. And discovered that Nath had sent two messages, the last just before she went to bed at a reasonable hour, saying she'd see me at our usual time the next morning. Thing is, I was checking email to say, um, maybe no swimming after all. Too tired! She got my on-second-thought message at 5:18am. I was sleeping restlessly in my new office. No swimming for me. Lesson being: don't commit to something immediately after a joyous run? Or: don't commit to something while hosting relatives over the holidays?

I've now got a sick kid (again ...) and another celebratory supper to prepare, and there will be no exercising today. But I'm supposed to get up tomorrow to run with Nina. This is so set in stone that it would be really weird to skip it. I will set an alarm. I will drag myself through the snow. I will pray for a nap tomorrow.

1 comment:

Tricia Orchard said...

Ha ha! I did something very similar. I went out for a run today (but I enjoyed the snow/sleet and it wasn't that icy) and when I got home I e-mailed my friend to see if she was going to be at swimming tomorrow! I felt great after my run, too! I really need those runs. Sounds like you do, too!

Enjoy your run with Nina tomorrow!

Sorry to hear you have a sick kid (again)!

T