Friday, December 9, 2011

Tiny bit of pride

This morning, I am taking a tiny bit of pride in my week in work-outs. It's been a tough week personally, with a child home sick every day (pneumonia!) and all of the worries that go with that, and there has been no opportunity for evening exercise whatsoever. But I've gotten up early to exercise four out of five mornings, and for that I'm grateful. Grateful that I set my alarm. Grateful to have had that time.

I ran on Sunday evening (11.4km).
Swam Monday morning (2500m).
Spin class Tuesday morning (jelly legs).
Run with my friend Nina Wednesday morning (8.5km).
Yoga class this morning (hot, 60 minutes).

I did not want to get up this morning. I've been so tired. But I didn't get up yesterday morning, and it was a tough tough day, which began with an even tougher morning--I was up before 7 anyway due to other people getting up early. I find I'm grumpier when someone else gets me up early. I'm resentful. That's why setting the alarm and getting up before anyone else can wake me gives me a better start to my day. (Maybe I have control issues?). It's hard to get up early (I am not naturally a morning person). And it's hard to keep doing. But it's worth it. When I set the alarm, I have control over the opening hours of my morning. I'm refreshing my body and my brain. It starts the day in a whole different tone.

I'm hopeful that tonight I'll be running in the snow (and the dark) at my daughter's goalie practice--finally, time for an evening run!

I don't feel very strong these days. I felt pretty awful at yoga this morning ... fatigued and tight in the shoulders. And my leg is still not its robust self.

But I also feel like it's kind of okay to feel not so great, so long as I don't let it stop me. When I'm feeling down or tired I find myself craving comfort from things that are inherently not that healthy--like vegging on the couch and watching TV. I don't really feel better after watching TV. I'm not saying it's always a bad choice, because there are definitely times when we all need to zone out, but it's not the greatest choice to turn to every time, automatically, when feeling tired or down.

It's good to remember that there are other choices. And that tomorrow is another day, another opportunity to set the alarm and rise early to greet it, even if today has been hard.

No comments: