Monday, December 26, 2011

The *&^*ing holidays

Good grief. Today is the first day of the kids' two week holiday from school, but it feels like we've been in holiday mode for a week already. I haven't done anything, exercise-wise, for the longest stretch in probably over a year--I ran early Wednesday morning with Nina and haven't done anything since. Except prepare food and eat food and host and clean and stay up late every single night. I haven't been to bed earlier than 1am since last Wednesday. It's been fun, don't get me wrong, but I'm feeling done with fun and ready to get back to normal--but the kids are on their holiday!!!!!

Also we have family arriving in a matter of an hour or so, and I really should be cleaning/baking/washing dishes/making beds/etc. rather than blogging.

You can call this Swim Mama, Bike Mama, Vent Mama.

I'm a routine kind of gal. Take me out of my routine for a few days and I start to fall to pieces. No early mornings, no running, no yoga, no writing time, no blogging time, no alone time. I'll be certifiable a week from today. But that's okay because THE KIDS WILL STILL HAVE ANOTHER WEEK OFF SCHOOL. What happens--and this is pretty predictable--is that I will start slamming doors and threatening to get a full-time job just so I can get the hell out of the house. How did I ever make it as a full-time stay-at-home mom???? Seriously. I can't believe I ever did it.

Well anyway. I hear the vaccuum working overtime upstairs and I need to go help my husband make some beds.

With any luck, I will find time--no, MAKE time--in these two weeks ahead for running or yoga or swimming and that will save me. (That sounds over-dramatic--I mean, that will keep me pleasant and calm and happy). Because that's all I want for my kids' holiday: to be pleasant and calm and happy so they can enjoy a fun holiday too. So we all can.

(But it doesn't feel like a holdiay to me. I'm going to try to imagine what a holiday would look like, to me. Nothing comes immediately to mind. Would I even like a holiday? Yes, I think I would, if I could just figure out what it would be, how I could relax and rest and feel rejuvenated and refreshed without simultaneously feeling guilty and over-indulgent and worrying that I'm not getting anything done. I'm a fun person. Share your ideal holidays with me, please. I'd love to live vicariously.)

No comments: