Thursday, January 5, 2012

A new year

Hello and happy new year!

It's been a good start so far, with a strong and steady week. I still need to figure out where and when to fit in more running, especially the long run that I'll need to do weekly to prepare for the longer races. But this week has gone smoothly.

I swam on Monday, 2500m, though the last 500 were a total slog. I was going so slowly by that point! It took me 55 minutes to swim 2500m.

Tuesday was spin class. I felt like it was easier to get into the zone than it had been that last class before Christmas holidays. I was so zoned that I pushed extremely hard and thought I might throw up after those last few sprints. Thankfully for everyone, I did not. Not to self: don't eat for breakfast pre-workout.

Wednesday, yesterday, I ran, as usual. A little shorter because we used our winter route in the 'hood. About 8km. Slower with all the snow and cold. And then my husband and I went to a yoga class together. It was more of a long stretch class than a hard workout. Perfect. Except my lower back is still bothering me.

This morning I got up early and went swimming. My husband had planned to come along (our kids were having an overnight at their grandma's), but he wasn't keen when the alarm rang. He's not used to getting up so early. And he also sounded less interested when he heard how long I planned to swim. He's been swimming with the older kids some mornings, but they only go for about 20-30 minutes. So I went swimming on my own and he went to yoga instead. And I swam 3000m!!!! In 62 minutes!!! Only slightly over my goal time or 60 minutes flat. The coolest thing was that I actually got faster. My last 500m were my fastest. I felt so smooth in the water at that point, like I was one with the water. It's good to remember that only a few days ago I did not feel so strong. So there are good days and days that are more challenging, no matter how fit you are.

I came home pumped. But pretty tired.

Hoping for a yoga class tomorrow. Or a run. Or both. We shall see.

No comments: