Saturday, January 7, 2012

Long run, new year

Well, this first week of the new year is going just great. I've figured out how to fit in a long run. It will have to happen on Saturdays, and will be arranged around the girls' soccer. Both girls play indoor soccer on Saturdays and my husband coaches. Today, there wasn't time to run in between their games, so I ran after the second game, as soon as my husband got home. I also baked bread in between. I'd like to add "sit with a book and read" to my plans for Saturdays, too.

But on the exercise front, this is an excellent spot to place a run. I might end up not running on Friday evenings anymore. This week I ran instead on Friday morning, getting up early (my fifth early morning of the week! I think that's a record), and ran 8.5km. Or slogged, more like it. It's harder going in the slush and the cold.

Today was a good day for a run. The paths were clear and not icy. The temp above zero. But it got very grey just as I prepared to head out and the temp dropped and sure enough it snowed during my run. Icy pellets that were blown by the wind into my face, and kind of hurt.

I went 15.5km in a time of one hour, 22 minutes (which includes time spent waiting at very slow stoplights--stupid traffic!). I can't figure out how to run a long slow run. Frankly, I just want to push the pace no matter what distance I'm going. I want to go as fast and hard as I can comfortably manage. Not sure why. Must be the brain I was born with.

Plan for tomorrow: possibly a morning yoga class. Possibly a run during my daughter's soccer practice. Both would be nice. I'd like to squeeze both in. We shall see.

Another running goal I have for this year is to run a minimum of 40km per week. I'd like to aim to run between 40-50, and if I'm training for a marathon that should be closer to 60+. But 40 is a manageable number to aim for on a regular basis. I think. So far this week I've run 32km, so I'd just need to run 8km tomorrow afternoon. Very doable.

Next week's long run with be a little bit longer, but not too much longer. I'd like to add no more than 2km per week as I bump up the distance to about 25km in preparation for the 30km race at the end of March. I don't think I'll run any longer than that for my long runs in preparation. And we'll see how it goes. I'd also like to sign up for the same half-marathon I ran last spring in early April, provided I'm nott be too worn out after the 30km race. I won't have to train any differently in order to add that race in.

No comments: