Friday, January 13, 2012

Up, down

So I went ten days without stopping. But that might have been a mistake. My muscles were so sore andmy hips were creaking like a pair of rusty hinges. Yesterday, I would have gotten up to swim nevertheless, but Kevin had to leave for work very early. This morning nothing was stopping me. Except for me. And the desire to sleep.

So I did that instead.

There's a window for a run tonight during my daughter's soccer practice. It will mean going fairly late (7:30) and in the dark and snowy cold, but I might just take it. I'll go slowly. What's bugging me more than anything is how slowly I have to run. Everytime I push it, I pay for it. More pain. What also worries me is that I was in a good deal more pain following that long run--which really wasn't very long (15.5km). I'm not sure what this says about doing long runs. I'm due for my next tomorrow and had hoped to lengthen the distance by about 2km.

On the whole, I think this is a new year's effect. Setting improbable goals, then checking in with what's really going to work. Those ten days were a good start to the year and I'm glad I pushed and did them, but I think what they reminded me is that I do need breaks. And my body has its limits. I need to figure out how to train smart.

No comments: