Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 342: Twice Daily

So far this week, I've exercised more than usual: twice daily, morning and evening. This isn't deliberate, it just happens to be when I've found time. I ran on Monday morning, then went to swim lessons Monday evening. I really like swim lessons (well, so far, one lesson in). It's fairly self-administered, and the instructor lays out a plan for the class, and you basically work your way through it, with drills and various endurance and sprint swims. The instructor was impressed with my self-taught stroke, and thinks that I could increase my power by changing how my arm enters the water, pausing at the top, then pulling down strong under the water. The drills felt really weird and were a challenge at first, but as the lesson went on, I appreciated the way they were challenging me to find comfort in the water while doing unfamiliar things.

And it's so lovely swimming a 50m pool. They do have an evening swim, from 8:10 til 9pm, which might be an option for August when these swim lessons are over. The swim lessons are more expensive than the lane swims.

Yesterday, I ran in the morning with my friend, then went to a yoga class in the afternoon, which was brutally focused on the legs. My quads were dying.

This morning, I got up for a bike ride with a friend and was totally disorganized. Pitiful. I'd given myself ample time to prepare (so I thought) but still wound up arriving late at our meeting spot with tires that needed pumping. Sigh. But it was kind of nice being all worn out and unambitious. This morning I didn't push as hard, so we were able to ride beside each other and chat much more. I usually push as hard as I can, for maximum work-out benefit. Today it was lovely just to enjoy the ride.

This evening, another swim class. I hope it will be as enjoyable as the first. Tomorrow, it's my husband's turn to get up early for a yoga class. I hope to run in the evening, possibly committing the terrible environmentally unfriendly act of driving to my new favourite running location so I can cruise around the trails. My legs seem to do better on grass/trail/anything but pavement or cement. Friday is wide open. Maybe another run. Maybe a day off. It would be great to get a long run in this weekend, but it will have to be on Sunday morning. Here's hoping.

No comments: