Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day 355: Swimming

I put it all together in the pool yesterday evening. I think I'm actually getting it. The instructor added one new finesse to my technique every session, and the one on Wednesday last week was really hard to incorporate. It felt like learning to swim all over again. I hoped to get into the pool last week to practice, but never got the chance; instead, I visualized and practiced in the mirror (does that sound weirdly obsessive??). But it worked. When I got into the pool yesterday evening, I could still swim. Miraculously, I could also slide my hand into the water near my head and reach forward under the water before pulling back, rather than coming up and stretching out and hitting the water with my hand at the top of my pull. We had a different instructor for the session, a woman, and she gave me two more little tips. One I'd been doing naturally, but trying to stop myself from doing, thinking it was wrong, so that was a relief; and the other was just a further finesse on the push forward underwater before pulling back. I still have lots to work on, but I could feel the difference in my stroke overall, and my speed. I also felt really strong anyway, so it was a happy day in the pool.

A yoga class yesterday morning, early, cleared my mind. I've been shirking on the yoga, choosing more aerobic work-outs, and forgetting that yoga is what got me here in the first place, a familiar friend, and a quiet contemplative space that my mind just needs on a regular basis.

This morning, I ran.

And the kids started their swim lessons today, and I made a discovery: lane swims are happening at the same time, which means I can slip in a half hour lane swim during lessons. It's about half as much as I'd do ordinarily, but would be great nevertheless: give me something to do while the kids are swimming, more practice in the pool, plus it's crazy hot right now and that pool looked divine. I want in!

No comments: