Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 353: Long Run

Brief post to note that I fit in a long run this morning: 16.5km, more or less. I ran for an hour and forty minutes. I started very very very slowly--you might say sluggishly. But felt better and picked up the pace as I went along. Drank a lot of fluids and sweated impressively; the ends of my hair were soaking wet. It was hot, even at 8:30am. And it was good to be out and running. Felt good to have some time alone to think, with no interruptions (summer is all about interruptions--four of them, to be precise).

This past week I ran three times, all on trails or grass, once for thirty minutes, once for forty (with eight hill sprints), and then today. I also swam twice, each time for about 2300 metres, and biked once. I missed yoga entirely. My body is sorry about that, and I hope to rectify it early tomorrow morning.

Next week: two swims, one bike ride, one yoga, and at least three runs, including one long--upping the time by ten minutes. I'm upping the time rather than the distance to remind myself to keep it slow; the distance will just come from running longer. The long run is meant to build endurance, not speed. I like speed and I need the reminder not to push it--it's not a race.

No comments: