Sunday, February 20, 2011

204: Extra Run

Ran for 10+km last night, and with a full day off in between, I was bubbling over with energy. It felt like I could have run further, so I ended with a full-on sprint just to see how much was left. Quite a lot, I think. I'm figuring something out. It's not that exertion, in the form of any exercise, gets easier. It's that my body has more layers of reserves to draw upon. I can dig down into this reservoir of energy and endurance and find more, over and over again. With practice, I've come to read and know my body's limits. I trust that my body has the capacity to recover after brief intense bursts of extreme exertion. I know what lungs and heart sound like when they're working hard. It isn't scary. But it could be, if I weren't comfortable and familiar with what this feels like, if I didn't understand that it was normal, not connected to being out of control.

So, not easier, but quicker recovery times, for sure, and mentally easier to push myself harder. Less resistance to temporary hardship.

I got to a 90-minute hot yoga class this morning (oh burning thighs; and thankful hips), and may run this evening, but if I do it will be short and quick, 6km. I need to organize my week ahead and schedule out my exercise plan.

This week (not counting the potential run tonight) has been slightly better than planned, with that extra run last night: two yoga, one spin, one swim, two three runs. [revised hours later: yup, I turned that potential run into an actual one! A quick, short 6km]

Next week (hoped-for): four yoga, one spin, one swim, three runs.

No comments: