Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 195: Buoyant

Fourth session in the pool this morning, and it was a good one. I decided to try swimming 100m without stopping--except to turn around, which I'm getting better at doing smoothly. At first, I thought 100m would be all I could do, as my breathing got heavier. Then I realized it's just like running. Breathing gets heavier, but only to a point, and you just have to get used to it and then it feels fine. Same underwater. So, I never stopped. I went the entire hour swimming end to end. I stopped counting after 1km (or approximately, because frankly my brain is not good with the keeping track). That took me about half an hour or slightly less, so I figure I swam about 2kms. I even moved over to the medium lane toward the end, when I realized that I was annoying the leisure swimmers by lapping them repeatedly. Still don't quite understand the lane swimming etiquette, but thankfully it was a quiet morning and I mostly had lanes to myself.

I also must note that the yoga class post-spin felt easy. My thighs felt so sturdy. Not at all quavery. I also ran on Wednesday morning with a friend, and it felt too easy. We went about 5.5 kms. She has to get to work (plus it was our coldest morning run yet, with wind, too), which is why we went short, but next time out, I'll have to run an extra lap or two. I am really looking forward to running on the weekend. I just googlemapped my route to figure out distances, and discovered that a couple of Sundays ago I ran 10km without knowing it. That makes me feel good. Maybe, on that note, I will sign up for the half marathon.

Have not signed up for anything yet.

Must do that.

I also went to a hot yoga class last night; again, it felt easy. I love the stretching. I think it's imperative. Another yoga class tonight--kundalini, which I predict will not feel easy. And then a couple of runs, and hopefully two yoga classes on the weekend, if I can squeeze everything in. Along with the rest of my life, which includes getting kids to extracurricular activities, groceries and errands, and a date night with my husband. We're going to see Black Swan, even though I don't like scary movies.

Just read a short story about a character with an eating disorder which revolved around excessive exercise. Made me wonder--I'm not doing that, am I? Becoming obsessive about my body? I am so much enjoying the feeling of being stronger and more fit than I've ever in my life come close to being ... I hope it's not a form of vanity or self-delusion or ... something else negative. I'd prefer to think it's about feeling alive. About inhabiting this body fully while alive.

Oh, one last note: on naps! It's a fine art, which I am determined to perfect through practice. I have a friend who rises early most days of the week (like 5:15am early), and she swears by regular naps. So I've been trying it out experimentally, during this month of not having an excessive amount of work to do, and here's the scoop: naps are really restorative. Don't feel lazy if you take one. Don't feel like you're wasting time. Even twenty minutes in the early afternoon can save the day. I've got a new favourite nap spot: in the living-room, on a chair in front of the windows, with the afternoon sunshine pouring in.

No comments: