Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 187: Obsession

Frustrated because I had to miss a yoga class on Tuesday due to my husband's work schedule. Also will be missing runs this weekend due to my husband's play schedule. Instead, fit in an early yoga class yesterday morning and a run last night in the fairly deep snow, like running on icy sand, or in sludge. Have to remind myself that a day or two here and there with no exercise is not the end of the world. Which makes me think I am hurtling headlong into obsessive territory. Seriously. There's more to life than exercising. Like, a lot more. And yet the desire to be more and more fit pulls with its own interior momentum. Slow and incremental changes that accrue. I am afraid that this project might make me into someone different. I am afraid of being changed in ways I can't anticipate.

This morning, I got to sleep in (my husband was up early instead), and I thought: okay, let's think of this project like a pregnancy. A limited period of intense work that aims toward a particular goal.

I also had a revelatory idea: this project might be fiction. What better way to get to know a new character, and a different world/culture than to immerse myself in it? Like the method style of acting. I'm excited by the thought. It opens up more possiblities in my mind.

No comments: