Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 210: Run

In addition to the triathlon, I'd like to complete a half-marathon, which seems reasonably within my sights as I ramp up my exercise schedule. From the reading I've done, and advice from friends, it sounds like the long weekly run is a big part of training for distance. So I'm working gradually toward the goal of a 20km run, starting last Saturday with 10km, and this Saturday with 12km. I ran 12km in an hour and 15 minutes, which works out to about exactly a 6 minute kilometre. Slow, but not too slow. I am my own worst enemy, and had to keep reminding myself not to worry about being SLOW! I wanted to pace it faster, though I'm not sure I could at this point. I felt pretty happy to be done (and I was getting thirsty, as I have not yet bought a pack to carry mini-water bottles), but I also felt that I could have gone around my 2km loop again without suffering too badly. The other happy discovery was that I recovered quickly, and didn't feel tired afterward. Which was fortunate, because this day is stacked with errands and plans and opposing schedules, so I had time only for a quick shower, a bite to eat, and then I was out the door carrying my cup of coffee to buy groceries and pick up my eldest daughter and her friends from their theatre class, which got me home in time to unload the truck, grab an extremely fast bite to eat, and head out to a 60-minute yoga class, stopping to get a gift for a kid's birthday party en route ... phew. And it wasn't even 12:30 at that point.

Yoga felt great. I would like to do the shorter yoga class following the long run. It feels good to stretch. And I felt strong! Next week: 14km.

No comments: