Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Day 200: !

Have to write something on Day 200. (Assuming I've counted correctly, that is; don't doublecheck my addition, please). I went for a delicious run this morning, and the sky was light by the time we were headed home. The sky was light! Winter is lifting, just a little bit. But I haven't felt oppressed by it this year. I do believe it's all the exercise--and getting outside. A good change.

Yoga class yesterday evening was lovely, too. I felt strong and comfortable, and nicely wrung out by the end. And ideas were flowing. I love when I'm emptied out and the ideas have room to flow. I got an almost complete picture for the novel I'm considering writing, using a character who I'm calling "The Runner."

But I had some other thoughts about exercise too. The dark side. I was thinking that exercise breaks a person down, on the inside. And sometimes it breaks you down and you connect with the divine that is not otherwise accessible, blocked out by ego or by conscious thought or by resistance. And sometimes it breaks you down and you are vulnerable to negative influences: you might be willing to do things you wouldn't consider doing otherwise. That seems to me the basic principle of basic army training: breaking down the person using physical means, in order to build them up into a soldier.

 :::

No more time, it's time for nursery school pick-up. But I'm pleased with my week so far, and do indeed feel stronger and healthier; and appreciative for the exercise I've been able to do this week. I can lift my arms again, too, for which I am truly, truly thankful.

No comments: