Friday, May 20, 2011

Day 295: Doubt

Swimming this morning was tough. I had an inkling it might be. I hadn't been the pool for a week, having missed Monday's swim; and my experience in the lake with the wetsuit really sapped some of my confidence. I kid you not that I've been thinking, in all seriousness: do I really know how to swim, or have I been fooling myself all this time?

I had another "goggle" morning. Endless water in the goggles (side note: should I invest in different goggles? do other swimmers have impenetrable goggles? because mine seem to leak a lot). I actually forced myself to swim 200m without touching my goggles, even though they were so full of water that I could hardly stand to open my eyes. But I had to do it, because otherwise I would have been stopping and stopping and stopping to empty them out. I had really red eyes afterward. I tried to use it as a learning occasion: ie. learning how not to panic but keep swimming without being able to see very well.

It occurred to me that the learning in the pool, at this point in my training, has largely to do with learning how to cope with panic and anxiety in the water. Doubt. Fear. These are my biggest opponents. Negative thinking too. How much easier it is to do something when I believe that I can do it. How much harder when I have to fight my own dark thoughts.

After forcing myself to swim that 200m with soggy goggles, I readjusted them and they seemed to work better for the rest of the swim. I continued to count lengths, as a tactic against keeping my mind from slipping into negative territory, and managed to swim 1000m in the final twenty minutes of my swim (it took a strong push at the end to get me there). I did feel stronger as the swim went on. One thing I might do, in the week(s) leading up to the triathlon, is to swim more frequently. Maybe as much as once a day for the preceding week. The more time I spend in the water, the greater my comfort level.

:::

On another note, I still need to get my laces into my shoes, load up my bike, and figure out what I'm going to eat and drink during the duathlon on Monday. I will be relieved with it's over. Another step along the way.

I've been feeling sluggish and drained all week. I hope to get some rest this weekend and feel ready to go on Monday. Hope, hope, hope.

5 comments:

Nath said...

1 km in 20 minutes! Excellent!

Water in goggles! Boo! I say get another pair - mine never leak, but I don't know what's special about them. You mentioned at one point that you have kid ones - maybe they're too small? If they're too small for your eye sockets, maybe they're more leaky? I don't know. But it's worth a try! Do you want to borrow mine for a swim? We could swap for a day.

I will be thinking of you Monday. Good luck!

Tricia Orchard said...

I also say get another pair. Nothing worse than having to keep fiddling with your googles, and you don't want to be doing that in the middle of the lake!

When are you planning on going to swim in the lake next? Let me know and maybe I can join you with my wet suit. Why not! I haven't been swimming in years, but what the heck!

Did you read the blurb from Subaru? There are different wave times at the start. I can't remember how old you are. At first I was thinking that we were in different start times, but now I think we start together. I hope we do! I'll need you nearby - or at least in my sight ahead of me as I am sure that is where you will be. :) It will motivate me again to keep up!

See ya soon!
T

Carrie Snyder said...

We're in the same wave: 35 to something. So that's good! I'm just relieved you'll be there for the whole set-up. It sounds complicated, and the road rules look strict. I don't want to be disqualified for doing something I didn't know would disqualify me.

And I'm going to look for new goggles this weekend! Not sure when I'll swim in a lake, but need to make a plan soon. Are lakes open right now? Other than freezing great lakes?

Tricia Orchard said...

The road rules seem kind of scary but it mostly common sense. You are already following the rules - watching for traffic and staying close to the side. It is more about letting others pass safely and not drafting. Once you are riding in the race you'll see that it is actually not too bad. If people want to pass they just do it - I can't imagine why someone would not let someone pass. Crazy!

And if you want to pass, just make sure that there is no one behind you before you ride out, call out that you are passing and then pass by and then get back in front.

We will be fine - gulp!

T

Tricia Orchard said...

One more thing - we can put our bikes together and then I can show you how to lay all your stuff out (not that it is hard!). You can also see what others do. You will just want to put your helmet and bike shoes in a way that is easy and quick to get them on and then get out on the bike course. When you take off your running shoes you will also want to place them so that it is easy to get them back on after the bike ride.

Some people fly through the transition (usually the people who are trying to place) while others take their time, chat with spectators and so on. You can make the transition as quick or as long as you like!