Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day 297: Run It Out

My to-do list is long today, and includes: get new swim goggles!! And gatorade for the race tomorrow! But it's started with a lovely 5km run, with my daughter biking alongside me, which is like a dream come true. When I was her age, I used to bike or run with my dad--bike on his longer jogs, and run with him on the shorter ones. He's the one who taught me to keep my feet quiet and not waste energy. It's basically the only training advice I've ever had, running-wise. I've looked forward to sharing similar moments with my own kids, but so far they haven't shown interest in running. So it was a thrill.

I woke feeling drained and worried, after a big birthday day yesterday (our eldest, who is now ten), and having suffered the most obvious anxiety dreams all night (ie. I'm at the duathlon pushing my bike, but I can't find the place to "rack" it, and the back wheel falls off, and I've left my bike shoes at home, and it's twenty minutes til start time, and I'm trying to fix the wheel, and my three-year-old is hanging off my arm, and and and you get the point). So as soon as I hopped out of bed, I put on my running clothes. My daughter happened to be hanging around, bored, so I suggested she join me. Off we went. We talked a lot about running and training. She said her soccer coach told the team that greater endurance basically just allows you to endure more pain. I think that's pretty accurate.

By the end, I felt healthy and strong and happy on the run--just the medicine for the pre-race jitters. A reminder that I know how to do this, and I've trained hard to get here.

I'm happier when I'm moving. Pure and simple.

1 comment:

Tricia Orchard said...

Hello!

You wondered a few posts ago what else people would be interested in for your Chatelaine posts. I think you may have touched on this very briefly before, but people new to the sport may be wondering the cost and time involved. A lot of the things you have had to buy will hopefully last you for a long time, but for someone starting out, they may have no idea what they need or the cost. There is the cost of the equipment, the cost to go swimming, the cost to go spinning, the cost to sign up for the races. You also do yoga as cross-training...just a thought for a topic. Also, the time commitment each week.

See you bright and early in the morning.

What are you wearing for the race? You can just e-mail me and not have to post here. :)

See ya soon.
T