Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 313: Storm

Lightning, thunder, and rain cancelled out this morning's planned bike ride. I was so tired, I was almost relieved to be going back to bed to sleep for a couple of extra hours. Yesterday was busy and exhausting, starting with a swim and a run, then a writing day, then the kids' swim lessons, then a hurried supper (not a picnic after all -- everyone was too hungry to wait), then the drive to Guelph and a dip in the lake. By the time we got home again, it was almost 9, the dishes waited piled in the sink, and we had four wired kids to get to bed.

But I got to swim in the lake in my wetsuit! Easier than expected. The wetsuit felt pretty natural, and definitely warmed me up and made me more floaty. The lake is not like the pool, though. I found it difficult to orient myself. I'm used to looking down (which also makes your body more aerodynamic in the water), and my goggles fogged a bit, and I couldn't see very well where I was going. I hope it will be easier to orient myself during the race. It's not going to be an easy half hour or so, that's for sure. If I have to do a lot of looking around to figure out where I'm going, I won't be anywhere near my half-hour goal for finishing the swim. I also won't have the teeny-tiny mini-rests of turning around at the end of every length. The plan is to go back to the lake tomorrow, with picnic, kids, and an extra set of eyes. I'm nervous swimming all by myself, out deep, though I recognize that I can swim. And it was easy to flip onto my back and float in the wetsuit, too.

Will reschedule bike ride for Thursday or Friday, depending on weather.

My husband also did some research on my calf issues, and it looks and feels like simple muscle tightness that needs to be massaged and treated with ice after exercising, and heat after massage. Doesn't look like it's anything more serious than that, but it is causing me pain.

Yoga this afternoon--I hope!

2 comments:

Tricia Orchard said...

Glad that it was easier than you thought. It is definitely challenging trying to figure out where you are going in a lake. There will likely be at least one or two big buoys to show you where to go. Just keep an eye out for those. It is hard to remember what I did, but I think I just started swimming and every once in awhile looked up to see if I was on track. You will probably swim in a fairly straight line.

Glad that you get to go out again.

Talk soon,
Tricia

Nath said...

I think that, while you will miss the teeny-tiny rests at the end of all the lanes, not having to turn around might actually shave off some of your time. But that's just a theory - I've only ever swum long distances in swimming pools...

And you're reminding me that I need to ice my shoulder!!