Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 334: Biking

Another morning, another slog dragging myself out of bed, another moment of questioning: why am I doing this? I reminded myself that it's always worth the effort, that I've yet to regret taking the time out of my day to exercise, while my brain said, yah, right, maybe today will be the day that it's no fun. And then I hit the road and totally forgot myself. The miles just click by on that bicycle. Tick-tock, is my latest weird mantra, as my legs go around. We rode on several not-so-nice roads this morning (ie. too many trucks, no paved shoulders), but there was so much to enjoy: horses in the green fields, deep thick mist, a sun that could barely be seen behind the fog, dampness and coolness all around. It's just amazing to me that I can get out and go places, ride into the countryside, be taken away from ordinary.

What a lovely ride. Due to a detour (okay, I missed a turn), we went a little further than planned: 37km. It felt light and lovely. I'd do it again in an instant. I've started to dream about a biking holiday: Ireland, say. Bike all day, eat, drink, sleep, repeat. Holidays aren't really in our near future, but it's nice to have something to fantasize about.

3 comments:

Tricia Orchard said...

Jeff and I did a bike trip pre-kids. I'll tell you about it sometime. Let's just say that it was "an experience".

Biking with kids? When they are much, much older and actually want to do it!

T :)

Carrie Snyder said...

Hm, "an experience" usually means something not so awesome.

Definitely not with kids! I'm thinking of slightly more romantic holiday. Though it would be awesome to do something with the kids that involved biking--just on a smaller scale.

Which reminds me--we still have your bike rack!!! Oops.

Tricia Orchard said...

Oh yeah. Actually, I will try to pop by some time tomorrow to pick it up, if that's okay. We need it for our camping trip.

If you leave it on your porch I will come by and get it.

Thanks,
Tricia