Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 14: Early Morning Run

Forgot how amazing it feels to wake up early and exercise. This is the high that makes me want to go on. It is exciting to run while thinking about a goal. So far, I think this project is about commitment. But I hadn't appreciated how important a goal is when making a commitment. Like the goal of marriage--staying married, till death do us part, through sickness and in health, for better or for worse. I can almost understand why my mother wanted to stay married just because. On the other hand, I'm a firm believer in being careful what you commit to. It is possible to ruin one's life by committing to quite the wrong goal. No "just because" here, in this project.

I ran from 6-7, give or take five minutes. I ran by myself, then met up with a friend midway through. I've told her about the project, and she'd like to be my running partner several mornings a week; the catch is that she has to run early, from 6-7. My schedule would allow me to run slightly later (and sleep in longer), from 7-8 instead. But then I would miss this hour, this quiet preparatory hour between exercise and the start of the day's hustle and bustle, hurry and scurry, especially when school starts up again.

I've never stuck with running for very long. Will having a major goal change this? I hope so. I felt fit and capable this morning, strong. I didn't run particularly fast, however. I am glad that I'm not starting from scratch, but have built up a reasonable fitness level having done hot yoga regularly for going on eight months now.

Yesterday evening, we went for a family bike ride to a special spot we know along the creek. As I hauled about 100 lbs of children and picnic, into a nice strong head-wind, uphill, I thought, hey, this might just get me into shape, even at a kids' pace. I couldn't have gone much faster if I'd tried; I was already trying. It was a blissful time together, despite bees and wading children getting soaked. It was just bliss, to be together, to be outside, to be active together.

However, an observation: during the bike ride, and immediately after, as I catch my breath and struggle through a physical activity, I am not a pleasant person. I tend toward barking out orders and commands, and I come down way too hard on others. I don't like what it brings out in me--what is "it" exactly? I was working hard and breathing hard and exerting myself hard, and I had nothing extra in the way of kindness or compassion. I was too focussed on getting through myself. Luckily, I have a quick recovery time, physically, and that means a quick recovery time mentally too. But meantime, I've been a yeller. Hate that.

::::

Here are some answers to yesterday's questions. An Olympic triathlon consists of a 1.5 km swim, a 40 km bike ride, and a 10 km run.

I found adult swim lessons that should suit my level, and will sign up for the fall session as soon as registration opens. I also plan to try out a lane swim as early as tomorrow morning, though that's in an outdoor pool and will be bleeping cold.

My cyclist friend tells me that the bike's fit is the most important element of a good ride. He also says we have many good trails to ride in this area, so I can avoid roads and cars. And that riding a stationary bike in the basement will be soul-sucking, and also doesn't quite equal the same core strength and balance built up when riding a moving bicycle. He recommends looking at cyclocross bikes, and has a contact for used bikes.

On another and related note, I am beginning to see that I will have to spend some money on this project. I will keep my receipts, as I consider this a writing project.

My running friend has advised me to set the goal for my first race as: finish it! I agree. And I've signed up for an 8k trail run on Sept. 9th. There are two more big locals races in October which I also plan to sign up for, both 10k runs. This will give me a chance to test my mental strength (and weakness) and work on competing in a group setting. If competing is the word I'm looking for.

But my knees. They were already hurting on this run, as they usually do when I run. I tried leaning forward and thinking about landing on my toes, but it was hard in the running shoes. I am extremely tempted to invest in a pair of Vibram barefoot shoes (and the little sockies that go with them). Apparently, I'm more into the gear than I thought I would be. But I need to train without injuring myself, which would prevent further training.

I discovered that Canada has one Ironman triathlon. I can't remember off-hand the exact mileage for that one, but it's wild, ends with a marathon. It's run every year at the end of August in Penticton, B.C. I'm seriously thinking of setting that as my end goal. I would also like to run a marathon as a test race, and am considering the Ottawa Marathon, which also has a half-marathon, and family runs as part of a running weekend, every May.

So there. Goals, and enthusiasm.

My biggest fear this morning? That I will like this so much that I won't want to stop. I don't want any one thing to overtake my life. I am a believer in balance. My friend reassured me on this point this morning: your kids will keep you balanced.

She's right. And why be afraid of doing something that brings such joy and energy? This is the high. I'm going to enjoy it. But I promise to record the lows, too.

No comments: