Monday, August 30, 2010

Day 27: Good

What a difference a day makes. I woke this morning feeling tired and achy and asking: why am I doing this? And as the day nears its end, I feel a renewed appreciation for the opportunity this challenge affords me: to build stamina. Today was a marathon among days, and never did I lose patience with the kids or say or do anything that I regret. I was very much present and the hours flew by, and I did not feel resentful or frazzled (for the most part) though there were frazzlements aplenty. The kids had their eye appointments this afternoon, a long and drawn out session that involved many complaints and refusals, and then ran an errand, dashed for ice cream, walked home to grab the laundry off the line and get our bikes, biked 2k to swim lessons, entertained children there, biked home with a small and scary crash along the way (my eldest; he's fine, but his bike is a bit damaged), and raced in the door at home in time to catch my daughter's first session on her new drum kit in the basement, and to eat a banana with peanut butter and bike to yoga class. The ninety minutes flew by, and I felt strong and capable, which I haven't been feeling lately in yoga class. And my back is eased somewhat. And I feel the joy of having a body that can stand up to the challenges of four children and a car-free lifestyle (car-free as much as possible, during the summer). It is a joy to be living in this body, able to care for my children, and enjoy my life. Tonight, that is what I see as the main purpose of the challenge, and this journey: to build strength, stamina, and courage for my every day.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Carrie I have been reading your blog about your training. I for the first time ever started running this summer. I am no where near 10K but am hoping to run the 5km part of the Oktoberfest run. Not sure if you have a blackberry or iphone but I downloaded a free app called endomondo. It tracks the distance,speed and the time or your biking or running and then logs your training online Kind of cool. The website also allows you to develop routes based on how far you want to go. Maybe you have something that you use but thought you might be interested. Do you already use something like that?
Michelle

Carrie Snyder said...

Hi Michelle,
I am not that tech savvy, and don't have an iphone or blackberry, though my husband might be hooking me up with one soon. Thanks for the info about the apps. I used a measurement app to check the length of my usual routes on google maps. It was very helpful.
Good luck with your training! I'm hoping to do the 10k for Oktoberfest, even if it's a struggle.
See you soon, Carrie