Friday, August 27, 2010

Day 24: Down

Went for an hour bike ride last night, flying up and down hills near where I go running, and even doing an extra lap in the near-dark. A bit stupid without a bike light (couldn't find mine), but I didn't want the ride to end, chugging along like a perfect engine, leg muscles alternately aching/burning and tingling with relief, lungs strong. My bike is a clunker, a heavy old mountain bike frame and knobby tires meant for off-road, but I've always love hacking off-road, and would do it again in an instant. If my bones were made of iron. What I recognized yesterday was that I am afraid of getting hurt. I used not to be. But there is too much at stake now. If I were to get hurt in a bike accident, my whole family would suffer greatly.

But it's still a lot of fun, even on smooth pavement. I could sense myself holding back as I got going faster and faster.

This morning I set the alarm and expected to get up to go to yoga class, since I felt stiff through the night. But then I just couldn't. Today is a busy day, with evening plans (with husband) and taking all four kids to the dr's office this morning. I couldn't face attempting those things with decreased energy. I always feel energized immediately after rising early and exercising; but the day's total energy is limited. I feel bummed about letting myself down re today's hour or exercise .... maybe a yoga session with the kids later on this morning??

No comments: