Saturday, August 6, 2011

371: Long Run

Went for a long run this morning. Haven't been getting up early to exercise nearly as often this summer, and when the alarm went, I did not know immediately what it was. Right. Not part of a dream sequence. But I dragged myself up, ate a bowl of cereal with banana, and headed out with some gatorade and sugary beans. It was early, and I was hesitant to head out on my usual trails, but decided to go that way anyway. But first, a detour to the rec centre bathrooms! That's never happened before. Glad I stopped, because the rest of the run was easy and pleasant. I must have been going slightly faster than I thought, because I expected that my planned time of 2 hours, 10 minutes, would put me at about 20.5km, but instead, when I got home and mapped out my route, I discovered I'd gone 22km, which is more than that half-marathon!

Woot!

Maybe that means I can really do a marathon this fall. And maybe all these short but more frequent runs are adding up helpfully. I was pretty sluggish for the last twenty minutes, but tried not to let that slow me down. I reminded myself to lift my knees in order to avoid shuffling along. And I ran as often as possible in grass, even when it was hilly or rough. I'll be ready for that trail run, that's for sure. I could run it tomorrow, I think, without too much pain and suffering.

Now to go enter this data into my new spreadsheet ...

No comments: