Monday, August 29, 2011

Day of get up and run

It's such a good idea to run immediately upon rising. With only about fifteen minutes between rolling out of bed and running down the street. No time to think about the tough hour ahead, no time to fiddle around or procrastinate. I ran my 12.2 km route again this morning, again aiming for 60 minutes. It felt easier this morning, probably because it wasn't as hot as on Saturday, and also because I tend to have more energy first thing in the morning.

But I was foiled by traffic this morning. The time on my watch was 61 minutes, 40 seconds. But I had been stopped by several traffic lights on the way there and back, which made me stop, of course, but also threw me off my rhythm. Annoying. I think the time on my watch could have been under an hour without those lights.

Another reason to dislike cars.

I'm hoping and planning to do this run as often as I can. Over time, I may be able to go further in that amount of time. An hour of exercise seems doable to fit into the schedule. And why not make it a hard hour of exercise rather than a loping hour of exercise? Why not push hard? This run reminds me of the spin class. It's a tough push, but feels very rewarding when it's over, and it will get easier over time. And then I'll be able to push harder and go even faster.

I've run 35 km since Thursday. Not bad.

No comments: