Wednesday, August 10, 2011

375: Quick Pace

Started this morning with a run, on my own, so I decided to push my pace. I was wearing a watch and following a route that allows me to do loops of 2 kilometres, which made it easy to keep track of my pace. I kept it to just under 5 minutes a kilometre, and did 6 kilometres, which added up to 28 minutes. Should I be pleased by that? Or not? Because it was a struggle to keep the pace, and I didn't feel like adding on another 2 kilometres, though I probably should have. I certainly wouldn't want to try to keep that pace for an entire marathon. Good grief! I probably need to be doing more mileage for the marathon training, ie. pushing the pace for an entire 10 km run.

But that was all I could do this morning.

Why do I like to push myself? I could go for a nice pleasant 6 kilometre run without feeling distressed or out of breath in the least, just by slowing down to about 6 minutes a kilometre. Or even 5 and a half minutes per kilometre. But I want to go faster.

I was thinking that in the early stages of training, it's easy to see progress. But the further along one gets, and the fitter, it's much harder to see increments of improvement. And it's also possible that I'm slipping in the opposite direction. I haven't biked for several weeks now, and haven't been swimming for most of August.

In the winter and spring, I did my speed runs (usually going about 5 kilometres) AFTER doing an hour-long swim. So this should have felt easier ... or that's what I felt. When I probably should have gone: Yeah! Six kilometres in 28 minutes! Early on a Wednesday morning! And for no particular reason or reward!

1 comment:

Tricia Orchard said...

I think it is normal to have periods of highs and lows when you train.

The last several runs that I have done I have been slower and felt sluggish. Other times, I feel like I could run forever or else my pace is quick but it feels great.

I suppose it is a good thing to experience easy and difficult runs/bikes/swims.