Thursday, August 25, 2011

Day of needing to run

I'm giving up on the numbers. They're not right anyway. But I like the Day to begin the title of each post. I'll keep that.

It's been awhile since I posted. I did not update this blog while on holiday, but I must note that I swam virtually every day, twice a day, in a lake. Every day was a bit different, but I estimate that I went at least 800 metres on my morning swims, and longer on my afternoon swims. I also kayaked a fair bit. So fun. I really noticed the improvement in my navigation skills by the end of the week: I was getting accustomed to looking up and ahead in order to stay on course. I felt fast and strong. But I also felt nervous in the deep water, and did not like the feeling of fatigue while in deep water. I never went out too far unless I was being spotted by someone in a kayak (usually my sister-in-law), but instead swam parallel to the shoreline. But still. It's easy to get into trouble in the water, even for experienced swimmers, so I stayed cautious. I probably never let myself get as fatigued as I normally would in a pool work-out.

Back home, I've been going crazy. Failed to schedule in work-out times this week, and therefore have ended up with very little. A good reminder: take the time to make the time.

I ran on Tuesday morning with a friend.

And I ran tonight, thank heavens. I was going stir-crazy. Kids around all the time, tons of canning and freezing this week, errands, holiday laundry, and me ... with a mind that felt fuzzy and incompetent at times. Or just plain overwhelmed. It hit me today. Forget the triathlon training. I need exercise to keep me sane, and on solid footing. The muscles are just a lucky by-product (and the chlorine hair an unlucky one). What I discovered during the triathlon training is how much happier I am, just generally, when I'm running or biking or swimming or yoga-ing regularly. Every day, ideally.

So I ran 11 kms in 56 minutes tonight. My goal is to run 12 kms in an hour flat, comfortably. Something to work toward. Then I could run shorter distances even faster (that's my theory anyway). I ran hard tonight and was hoping I'd gone just a little further, but overall, I was happy just being out there and running hard and hearing myself breathing hard, and working hard. I didn't even think about anything. I didn't need to. I just enjoyed the feeling of running itself. It clears the mind. It really really does. I'm so thankful I can do it. And that I discovered it.

Plan to rise early for yoga. I'm stiff as a board and haven't been to yoga since before the holiday. And so, to bed.

No comments: