Thursday, October 27, 2011

Day of doubt

Am I doubting whether I can complete this marathon? I am, a bit, just a bit, a wee bit. I'm also doubting my training plan as it comes down to the end here. I'm feeling SO TIRED this week. It's been a stressful week. Things have happened that no one can plan for, or around. On Monday, we had some issues on our home construction project that thankfully have since been solved. The sadder and bigger occurrence is that my grandpa (my mom's dad) passed away on Tuesday. He lived in Ohio, so our family will be travelling across the border for the funeral this weekend. That means two long drives in a short amount of time, and an emotionally gruelling weekend, which I find can be as draining as anything that's physically challenging.

Not that it matters, given the context, but I also won't be able to do my planned 16km run on Saturday. What I'm thinking of doing now is skipping tonight's planned run (SO TIRED!) and running instead tomorrow evening for 16km. I'm pretty sure that I can squeeze it in during my daughter's soccer practice, if I map out a route in advance. There is a treadmill at the hotel in Ohio, and I could get up early Sunday morning to run for half an hour or so. And then I'll check in with my body and mind when we're home on Monday, and decide how the week ahead should look, training-wise. Monday (Halloween) is also the fourth anniversary of my father-in-law's passing, and my maternal grandma died almost exactly a year ago, too. It's a dark time, and I need to take care and remember that even though it may seem that these emotional anniversaries are not outwardly affecting, they may actually be, quietly, taking and requiring some energy.

Any advice? Would you aim to do less and conserve strength, or do I risk slipping back and losing some of the endurance I've gained during training?

I still believe that I can do the marathon. At this point, though, I'm thinking less and less about ideal times, and more and more about simple completion, being brave, going ahead with the plan, and doing my best, whatever that turns out to be. Which is probably, let's face it, a  healthy approach.

2 comments:

Tricia Orchard said...

Carrie,

I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa.

That's a good question - do less and conserve strength or risk losing endurance...I think you should listen to your body. If you are tired, then it sounds like you need to rest a little.

I am certainly no expert, but given that there is just over a week to go before the race, I don't know if missing a long run will make a big difference. You have already done a significant amount of training and gotten in lots of long runs. I am sure you can do it, even if you have to miss a run or two in the next week.

Every time I have done a new race (or a new distance) I pretty much have no expectations. I never know how that distance is going to feel (especially a first marathon) and I don't want to disappoint myself if I don't finish in a certain time. For me, it is usually the 2nd or 3rd time that I do a race that I aim for a particular time. By then I know what I was able to do before, and I try to beat my time.

Given that you are feeling tired, you will be traveling a lot this weekend, and it is an emotional time for you, I would say give yourself a break and aim to do the race for completion. Don't put that extra pressure on yourself of trying to race in a certain time. If, during the race, you are feeling good, then go for it. But don't stress yourself out too much beforehand. Just finishing the marathon will be a huge accomplishment, no matter what the time is!

Safe travels this weekend!

Tricia

Carrie Snyder said...

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions, Tricia. I really appreciate it.

Today, I've decided not to run, but to take the whole day as a rest day (I ran yesterday anyway.) And then I'll wake up tomorrow and see how I feel. And go from there, as you say, listening to my body.

But I would really like to get the long run in tomorrow evening. I'm hoping I'll feel up to it.

See you soon, Carrie