Monday, October 3, 2011

Day of fantasizing about more running

All I can think about is running: when I can get to do it again, how I can run more trails, maybe join a club and really push myself ... fantasy land, but who knows, it was a childhood dream and maybe it's not too late even now.

I may never be at the very front of the pack, but I do feel there's room for improvement and growth and more speed, and I'd love to keep working at, mostly because it's so much fun to do. The whole time in the pool this morning, I had to remind myself that swimming is worthwhile too, because what I really wanted to be doing was RUNNING! But I read an interesting little tidbit in a running magazine last night that said one surefire way to improve your lung capacity is to cross-train by swimming. Apparently, swimming has a hypoxic effect (lack of oxygen) that strengthens respitory muscles, increases lung capacity and efficiency and basically makes it easier for the oyxgen to get delivered when running. Since I'd been feeling that my breathing is where I reach my threshold first (more so than muscle fatigue), it sounds like swimming is just the thing to keep on doing.

Which I reminded myself in the pool this morning.

Then I went online and looked up some crazy stuff online, like this race which is run locally: http://www.endurrun.com/register.html

Why does that sound fun to me??? Why?? But it does.

Won't get a run in tonight, as hoped, because my husband has to go to a soccer coaching clinic so I'm on my own with the kids.

Oh yes, made it 2500m in the pool this morning. Felt pretty good, though not amazing. Not that achy from run ...

No comments: