Monday, October 24, 2011

Day of figuring out my schedule for the next two weeks

So I've got less than two weeks to go. I need to figure out what running needs to be done, to leave me in peak race condition. Ha. Okay, in decent race condition. I'm not sure how to figure the swimming and spinning into the equation, but since neither are weight-bearing, I think I'll leave them out of consideration. It's the pounding that counts.

So ... looking at the Running Room marathon guide, for the "complete in 4 hours" training program, this week I should run 6 kilometres, then 10, then 10, then take a day off, then run 16 at race pace on the weekend, followed by another 6 the next day. (That seems like a heavier schedule than I'd anticipated, for tapering, but anyway...)

Next week, I should take a day off, then run 6 at race pace, followed by 10 at race pace, then two days off, then an easy 3 on the day before the marathon.

Hm. This isn't going to add up precisely because I did my long run on Saturday, not Sunday. I'm going to run a slow 8.5km on Wednesday morning. I have been running 12 on Thursday evenings, and 10 on Fridays, followed by a long run on the weekend, with the possibility of a slightly shorter run on Sunday evening.

Agh. Thinking out loud. Sorry. I could probably squeeze in a 6km run this evening, while one daughter is at dance class. Then I'll take tomorrow off (for running; there's spin in the morning.) Wed will be a slow run, which doesn't fit with the plan. Maybe I'll do 12 like usual on Thursday evening (a couple of extra km to make up for those lost on Wed), skip my Friday run (sigh! it would be at my favourite trails), and run 16 on Saturday, since I'm supposed to have a day off in between.

Okay, that could work. It doesn't have to add up perfectly, but I do want to do a bit less without falling off the training wagon too early. And I'm not an expert to say the least.

No comments: