Thursday, September 9, 2010

Day 37: Race Day

Ugh. I feel nervous.
My husband is very excited for me. My children, who are all going to come along, are only interested in whether or not I'm going to win. When I assured them that I would not, and that it was not the point of the race for me, they were baffled. My eldest daughter advised me "not to run too fast at the start." My eldest son simply could not understand why I would be running in a race that I knew I could not win. This seems an interesting lesson in effort and reward. We are always looking for ways to express the mysterious power of the interior reward, versus the obvious lure of the exterior reward. Maybe this will be an illustration of why one would want to do something without apparent reward.
Why would one want to do something that is hard if there is no apparent reward at the other end?
Ah ...
I will remind myself of my goals while running this race: to finish, and to finish without walking.

No comments: