Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day 39: Small Observation

Quiet steady run this morning. Not what I felt like doing, but I went ahead and did it. I ran a slightly different loop, my goal being to run further than 8km, but perhaps not 10, since I felt pretty weak upon heading out. When measured out afterward, my course was 9.3km; not bad. I had energy, so I pushed the last kilometre in about 4 minutes.

Today's observation: just because you feel lousy when you start out doesn't mean you'll feel worse as you go along. I never felt fabulous or strong, but then again, I didn't feel any worse throughout the entire run.

I got some stats from my race. I finished 123 overall, out of 287 participants. I was 36th among the women runners. And my average time per kilometre was 5:38. I can definitely improve on these stats, but I'm pleased with them for a first-time experience. My goal is to run a 5 minute kilometre during a race of this length. Not sure how much my goal might change over a longer course, or how fast I could expect myself to be able to run. It's occurred to me that I may need to buy a watch. I haven't worn one since I was about twelve.

No comments: