Friday, September 17, 2010

Day 45: Sleep and the lack thereof

Ran this morning. Not early. Ran instead for half an hour after the kids had all left the house. It was not a pleasant run, not because my body felt tired or incapable, but because I was filled with impatience, wanting instead to be at home in front of my computer using this time for my real work, which is writing. I have found a publisher for my second book, and it will require a lot of editing and rewriting to bring it to completion; and the only time for that, and for the myriad of other related work that I also much do, is while my children are away. But I could not rise early this morning. I was up every two hours with a child during the night and dragged myeslf out of bed after 7 feeling as though none of us had slept soundly.

Sleep is key to my energetic plans. Without it, I begin to crumble.

Do I still want to attempt a triathlon? I am considering dropping out of swim lessons and trying just to swim laps with what I know, because I can't afford to break up one of my two rare writing days a week for a swim lesson. I need that extended time in order to get any work of real depth completed.

No, I'm not quitting. Just going to re-jig slightly, and focus on slightly different goals. Right now, I would like to be in shape to run a 10km race in about a month. It's do-able, even with more writing work.

No comments: