Monday, September 26, 2011

Day: awesome swim

Well, that felt great. For some reason, I've really noticed a boost in my endurance in the pool this fall. Maybe it's all the running I've been doing. Who knows. But this morning, I was pleased to be able to keep my pace steady and fast for the first 1500m (fast for me, that is--it's all relative). I like using 1500 metres as a mark because that's how far you have to swim for an Olympic triathlon. I remember that distance used to wear me out, that I was really struggling to complete it feeling comfortable--I mean, that's how I felt just before doing the triathlon. And now that length is pretty comfortable. I'd like to test this out next summer by doing the triathlon again.

Right now, I'd say I'm good up to about 2000m, at which point it becomes more laborious to keep my stroke going well.

But I felt good enough today to push on for 2800m, completed in just under an hour. My goal is 3000m in that hour, but that's still awhile away. Nevertheless, there were moments in the pool today when my stroke and kick felt really smooth and clean ... and I was wishing I wouldn't have to turn around every 20m because my momentum was good.

I took this past Friday off. Stayed up late (late for me, that is--yup, it's really relative) and had three glasses of wine. Went for an early run the next morning while my daughter was at her soccer tryout. There is a lovely trail near the fiel, paved, though, not dirt, and I ran for a little over an hour and managed 13.6km. I wasn't feeling fabulous, in fact, I was feeling a bit hungover (I hardly ever drink anymore!), but I persevered and it was a nice run, overall. That's progress, I think. I did the same run yesterday morning, too, following another late night and not enough sleep and one beer. It felt harder, but I think that was because I threw in three sprints right in the middle of the run, just to see if I could. As I said to Kevin afterward, "Why do I do that to myself? Any normal person would be satisfied with a nice run, but I'm thinking, this is too slow, I'm not working hard enough, I need to do more ...." Anyway ... those sprints killed me. I only made it 11km and was glad to be done.

Still, that put my week's mileage at 38.8km. Much less than the previous couple of weeks, but on track with the training schedule posted by the Run for the Toad people.

A few more shortish runs this week, and then I'll be running 25km in Saturday's race. Yikes. But I think I can. I'm not too worried, more worried about setting the right pace and running a smart race.

:::

P.S. I JUST SIGNED UP TO RUN A MARATHON!!!! On November 6th. (That must have been a really good swim this morning).

No comments: