Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day: trying to remember what I've done

I was not regularly at my desk during the final two weeks before school started. Almost never, actually, so my handy spreadsheet didn't get updated until today. And I couldn't for the life of me even remember what I was doing last week ... it already seems so long ago.

Last Friday, I ran for the fifth day in a row, and it was really hot, and I ran in the early afternoon, and I suffered. It was brutal, really. I was getting chills by the second half of the run. I did not go 12km as planned, but cut my run short and made it about 10.5km. My time wasn't good either. I was just trying to make it home, by the end. So there may be such a thing as too much training. I'm wondering about trying to train more efficiently, working more sprints into my runs, or something like that, rather than just doing these steady runs at different paces.

Anyway, I've felt slow all this week, too. I took the weekend off, and started back with the daily running on Monday, just forcing myself to get out of bed and go on Monday morning. I didn't go fast for the first half of the run (which was only 7.5km), and then felt happy pushing myself faster for the second half, but I tried to look at my effort positively, even though it wasn't a whole-hearted effort. At least I got out, when I didn't much feel like going.

I haven't been swimming for a very long time (since the cottage), so I hope to do that tomorrow, and I'm also hoping to run tonight at my favourite place to do trails (my daughter has a game, rain or shine). I've gotten up early twice this week, and plan to get up early again tomorrow. I'm still working naps back into my schedule, having gotten out of the habit of early work-outs over the summer. Not sure whether I'll swim twice a week, or add in an extra run instead of a swim. It might depend on the weather. When it got really dark and cold last winter, I loved going to the pool in the early morning. But while there's still some light in the morning, I like running instead, and being outside.

I'm also aiming to get to one or two yoga classes every week. One is doable. Two is doubtful. But boy do I need the stretching. Writing all day is hard on my back and I have to remember to take breaks and stretch, here, too.

7 comments:

Tricia Orchard said...

Hi there,

I know that we probably have different running goals (actually, I don't really have any at the moment), but I find I have the best runs when I don't have an agenda in mind. Most of the time I just go out and run. I time myself, although I don't try to run a certain distance in a certain time. I just run and really only check my watch at the end. The few times that I try to time myself or run at race pace, I have a miserable time. I suppose it is easy to do and easy to say when I am not currently training for anything in particular. My attitude might be different if I had an upcoming race.

Anyways, I still think it is good to have some off running days. You never know how you will feel on race day.

How are you feeling about The Toad?

Carrie Snyder said...

I'm worried about The Toad, but not so much about finishing it or running it--I'm worried about the scheduling that's going to be required for me to actually get to do it!!!! K is working all day on that Saturday (I didn't know that until recently), AND the older kids have soccer tryouts at the exact same time as the race is being run. I'm still wracking my brain about how to be in four places at once--two different soccer tryouts, race, and watching small children for several hours while running race. :) I'm going to have to get organized and find help. I want that bag/backpack! Oh, and it would be nice to finish the race, too.

Carrie Snyder said...

Also, I think you're right re running without an agenda in mind ... my favourite runs are always those where I'm just running and not checking my watch. Hope to do that tonight at Bechtel, where I can't check my distance/time because the trails are impossible to measure.

Tricia Orchard said...

Please let me know if we can help out in any way! Would the younger two be comfortable hanging out with us? Remind me of the date again...

Carrie Snyder said...

Oct. 1st. It's a Saturday. Are you thinking of coming to the race?

Tricia Orchard said...

I haven't talked to Jeff about it yet, but possibly. We know a few other people doing it and if their children are going to watch then we might consider it. I can get back to you...

You know us, we do like to cheer for people at races!

T

Carrie Snyder said...

Well, that would be great, assuming the little kids would be cooperative.