Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day: lazy lie in

I felt lazy this morning, lying in until after 7am, while my husband and two oldest kids got up around 6:45 and went to the pool for a swim. But I also felt really proud of them for going--for the second time this week. My eldest (age 10) was proud to report that he swam 10 laps in a row without stopping. Husband (age 41) was proud to report making it three laps without stopping (he's still learning how to swim). Daughter, age 8, forgot her towel and was drying herself off afterwards with her sweater (aaghh!!) when a kind older woman offered to lend her a towel.

I felt slightly envious of their obvious energy as they burst through the front door. I could have set the alarm and run really early this morning. But I'm fighting a cold, and my Wednesday running partner is away for the day, and I didn't feel like going on my own again, in the dark and the cold. I plan to run tonight instead.

Yesterday, I ran 9.9 km (can I count that as 10?) in under 50 minutes, pounding around the neighbourhood streets. I guess I could have run out on my familiar trail, but it seems sort of isolated and dangerous when I'm running on my own and it's so dark. I don't mind running the neighbourhood loop, and I'm mostly able to run in the street rather than on the sidewalks, but one section of street is so slanted that I have to run right down the middle to feel comfortable, otherwise it's like running on an angle, and I feel it in my knees.

I also made it to an evening 90-minute hot yoga class. So glad I went. I almost skipped, due to feeling under the weather, but it was so good to go and sweat, and weirdly, I felt really strong throughout. It reminded me that it's a good general rule not to skip any workouts unless I'm actually feverish. Exercise boosts the immune system. I followed this rule last winter, reminding myself that if people receiving cancer treatments who feel really really sick can keep working out, then so can I. You don't have to feel in the peak of health to go for a run. You just might have to run more slowly, or go a little easier on yourself.

Looking forward to this evening's run. It will still be light out, so I hope to hit my familiar trail. And then I'll banish this feeling of laziness.

No comments: