Monday, September 12, 2011

Day: swim, swim, swim

Started the week with a swim. Wonderful. I swam the first 1500 metres relatively on pace (approximately 10-11 minutes per 500 metres), and then found myself slowing down for the last 1000 metres. I counted this morning. I think 2500 metres is my new norm. I can do it in under an hour, and hope that down the road, with increased fitness and assuming my stroke continues to improve, I can get to 3000 metres in an hour. Well, it's a big goal.

One weird thing about this morning's swim: it was really really busy, with a Master's swim club churning the place up. And in the lane next to mine, I kept seeing what looked like a mirage: a teeny-tiny figure at the bottom of the pool. It must be really deep down there, or the water really distorts perspective, because someone was swimming right at the bottom of the pool and he looked like something I was making up in my imagination. He (could have been she, come to think of it) would dive down to the very bottom and then swim the entire length along the bottom, and then surface. I get a creepy kind of feeling when I pass over things in a lake--like logs or fish or unidentified buried objects, and this made me feel a bit creepy, too. Not sure what that feeling is, nor how to describe it with precision.

1 comment:

NathKnits said...

I saw him too! Red swimming trunks! Good lungs!